Wiki EXPLORATION OF RUPTURED VULVAR HEMATOMA

rockylopez

Networker
Best answers
Hello. I need assistance with this op report contemplating on cpt code 57023?

PREOPERATIVE DIAGNOSES:
1. Vulvar hematoma, ruptured

POSTOPERATIVE DIAGNOSES: Same as above

NAME OF PROCEDURE: exploration of ruptured vulvar hematoma

ANESTHESIA: GETA

ESTIMATED BLOOD LOSS: 1000 cc

FINDINGS: 5cm depth by 3cm width, extension superiorly to mons pubis

COMPLICATIONS: None.

DRAINS: Foley catheter.

SPECIMENS: none

COUNTS: Correct x3.

DVT PROPHYLAXIS: SCDs in place and the onset of the case

PREOPERATIVE ANTIBIOTICS: Ancef 1 grams

DESCRIPTION OF PROCEDURE: The patient was taken back to the operating room where patient was appropriately anesthetized with the GETA anesthesia. A timeout was then performed verifying the correct patient, the correct procedure, and the correct diagnosis. Once everyone in the room was in agreement the procedure was started. The patient was then prepared and draped in normal sterile fashion in dorsal lithotomy position. Large clots removed from ruptured vulvar hematoma, suction and retractors were used to explore the bledding hematoma. Used vicryl 3-0 to take severa stiches to try to control the bleeding. Asked Dr for an intra op consult and she agreed to continue to close the blind space. Bleeding noted from an area right next to the foley. Switched the foley to a bigger one so the urethra could be better evaluated. Asked for Urologist for an intra op consult since the bleeding was noted to be next to the urethra. While Dr was in route the hematoma was packed and pressure held. He scrubed in and placed several stiches and bleeding controlled in the area. Several areas noted to be oozing, powedered cergicel used and pressure was held for several minutes. The area finally looked more hemostatic. Used chromic 2-0 to close the blind space and closed the hematoma opening. Urine noted to be clear and flowing in the foley well. Procedure ended well. Patient will be taken to ICU.

Hello. I need assistance with this op report contemplating on cpt code 57023?

PREOPERATIVE DIAGNOSES:
1. Vulvar hematoma, ruptured

POSTOPERATIVE DIAGNOSES: Same as above

NAME OF PROCEDURE: exploration of ruptured vulvar hematoma

ANESTHESIA: GETA

ESTIMATED BLOOD LOSS: 1000 cc

FINDINGS: 5cm depth by 3cm width, extension superiorly to mons pubis

COMPLICATIONS: None.

DRAINS: Foley catheter.

SPECIMENS: none

COUNTS: Correct x3.

DVT PROPHYLAXIS: SCDs in place and the onset of the case

PREOPERATIVE ANTIBIOTICS: Ancef 1 grams

DESCRIPTION OF PROCEDURE: The patient was taken back to the operating room where patient was appropriately anesthetized with the GETA anesthesia. A timeout was then performed verifying the correct patient, the correct procedure, and the correct diagnosis. Once everyone in the room was in agreement the procedure was started. The patient was then prepared and draped in normal sterile fashion in dorsal lithotomy position. Large clots removed from ruptured vulvar hematoma, suction and retractors were used to explore the bledding hematoma. Used vicryl 3-0 to take severa stiches to try to control the bleeding. Asked Dr for an intra op consult and she agreed to continue to close the blind space. Bleeding noted from an area right next to the foley. Switched the foley to a bigger one so the urethra could be better evaluated. Asked for Urologist for an intra op consult since the bleeding was noted to be next to the urethra. While Dr was in route the hematoma was packed and pressure held. He scrubed in and placed several stiches and bleeding controlled in the area. Several areas noted to be oozing, powedered cergicel used and pressure was held for several minutes. The area finally looked more hemostatic. Used chromic 2-0 to close the blind space and closed the hematoma opening. Urine noted to be clear and flowing in the foley well. Procedure ended well. Patient will be taken to ICU.
The vulva is not the vagina so 57023 would not be appropriate in this case. It would also not be code 56405 (Incision and drainage of vulva or perineal abscess) because it was a hematoma. I would go with 10140, Incision and drainage of hematoma, seroma or fluid collection. As it appears that this was not a simple evacuation, I would consider adding a modifier -22 to this code.

The vulva is not the vagina so 57023 would not be appropriate in this case. It would also not be code 56405 (Incision and drainage of vulva or perineal abscess) because it was a hematoma. I would go with 10140, Incision and drainage of hematoma, seroma or fluid collection. As it appears that this was not a simple evacuation, I would consider adding a modifier -22 to this code.
thank you