eye irrigation


Best answers
If a patient comes into the office with sand in the eye and the doctor irrigates the eye, would this be considered the part of the E/M or can it be coded using 65205?

Thanks for your help

Denise Smith CPC - A
Milwaukee WI
Best answers
Just E/M - I think

This is NOT my area of expertise, but ...

Here's the lay description of 65025:

The physician picks the foreign body or mineral deposit from the conjunctiva with the side of the beveled edge of a needle (e.g., 65205). A small incision may be required to remove an embedded foreign body (e.g., 65210). In this case, the physician may cut a V-shaped incision to access the defect through a flap, or a straight incision may be made. The incision may penetrate the conjunctiva, but it does not penetrate the sclera. Generally, a slit lamp is used when removing any embedded foreign body. After the removal, the physician may apply a broad spectrum antibiotic and a moderate pressure patch over the closed lid for 24-48 hours.

So I think, based on what you've posted, you'll just have an E/M.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CPC-E/M