Wiki F01.50 with F02.80

angelalhale

Contributor
Best answers
a team member is coding these two codes together with G30.9. The provider documented mixed Alzheimers with vascular Dementia. I am a new coder but I don't see the logic in coding both of these two codes for this record or ever to code both. Just need support from some experts. thanks

In your Index, Disease>Alzheimer's has [brackets] meaning you have to code the F02.80. In addition, a person can have dementia developing in two different ways. Provider states Alzheimer's and Vascular which would lead you to also code the F01.50. There are no Excludes 1 note stating they cannot be coded together. Your team member is correct in coding this way.

Hello!
In your Index, Disease>Alzheimer's has [brackets] meaning you have to code the F02.80. In addition, a person can have dementia developing in two different ways. Provider states Alzheimer's and Vascular which would lead you to also code the F01.50. There are no Excludes 1 note stating they cannot be coded together. Your team member is correct in coding this way.
Hello! I too am a new coder, and we are updating all of our codes for a skilled facility this week. In relation to the vascular, in the book it says to code underlying disease (such as CVA sequela or other vascular disease). We are finding our patients who may have admitted from home years ago, came with a vascular dementia DX, like it was a generic code for dementia, and no "cva" or "vascular" diagnosis. Is it still ok to code vascular?
Example: Female history ETOH abuse was given vascular. Queried the doctor and now we are struggling because he doesn't want to remove vascular since he didn't diagnose it (and she has not been to the hospital since admit to our facility-years ago-so no need to add additional testing. We are adding F10.27 though to account for the ETOH dementia.

In the tabular under F01.50 there is the inclusion term 'Vascular dementia NOS' which is not otherwise specified. The coding guidelines I.A.13 talks about the 'code also' along with I.B.7. In this guideline it references 'if known'. If the provider hasn't stated what the underlying cause it, I would still code vascular dementia.

For you scenario, if the provider didn't connect the ETOH with the dementia, then I wouldn't code it as such.