Wiki Facet fixation with interspinous fixation

nan.coder

Networker
Best answers
Recently we had a physician perform non-segmental instrumentation using facet screws at L3-4, L4-5 and L5-1 with placement of Spine Frontier spinous process plates at L3-4 and L3-4 along with the posterolateral fusions at L3-4, L4-5 and L5-S1. The vendor is stating the non-segmental instrumentation should be billed as 22840 X3 and the spinous process plates (Inspan interspinous fixation system from Spine Frontier) as 28899 X2. The fusion codes are no problem. *******would appreciate any input in regard to using 22840 X3 and the unlised code for the interspinous fixation.

Thank you. Nancy Boyle

I am always extremely cautious about using information from vendors. Unless they have published documentation from an authoritive source such as a MAC or MCR or another commercial insurance Coding Policy/Guideline.

You can only use 22840 one time per surgical session as it has an MUE edit of 1.
28899 is an unlisted code for foot or toes and would not be appropriate, nor in any way correct for this situation. Find a better code to use for the plates if you are an ASC. If you are billing for the physician you don't bill for the plates.

Facet fixation

Thank you for your response. I didnt think to look at the MUE edit because the carrier is work comp. Silly me, won't forget in the future.

Nancy