Wiki Facet injections

cynsteve04@aol.com

Networker
Best answers
Hello,
My Ortho DR is injecting cortisone WITHOUT IMAGING GUIDANCE into the facet joint in the spine. Its not muscle so I cannot use TRIGGER POINT and I cannot find a code that doesn't have imaging guidance , please help me

Hello,
My Ortho DR is injecting cortisone WITHOUT IMAGING GUIDANCE into the facet joint in the spine. Its not muscle so I cannot use TRIGGER POINT and I cannot find a code that doesn't have imaging guidance , please help me

You do use the trigger point codes in this situation - per the CPT instructions for this section: "Image guidance [fluoroscopy or CT] and any injection of contrast are inclusive components of 64490-64495. Imaging guidance and localization are required for the performance of paravertebral facet joint injections described by codes 64490-64495. If imaging is not used, report 20552-20553. If ultrasound guidance is used, report 0213T-0218T."

I agree with Thomas7331. I'd also just like to add that this guideline can be found on page 413 of the 2018 Professional CPT Book.