• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten the password it can be reset on our sign in section by entering your registered Email Address or Username here. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..

Facility codes - HELP!

kimsue63

Contributor
Messages
11
Location
New Lenox , IL
Hi,
Hoping someone who does facility billing can help. I have only done physician coding and so I am somewhat lost as to how the facility bills on their side. An example, if our physician does a Norwood procedure, 33619, what does the hospital bill? The same code? I have one of our physicians asking me and I have no idea.
Thanks!
Kim
 
Yes, as a facility coder, we code the CPT for outpatient procedures and ICD 9 procedure codes for inpatient.

Cordelia, CCS, CPC
 
Last edited:
For an inpatient, the hospital would report a code, just not a CPT.

In addition, just because the facility and physician coder are reading the same report does not mean they arrive at the same CPT code. I've seen this happen many, many times. If the facility is using a particular encoder, that usually explains how it arrived at an improper code.
 
Top