Wiki Facility ED / Observation Billing

bdiazdeleon

Best answers
For patients seen in the ED and transferred to an adjacent Observation Unit, can the hospital bill both an ED facility charge and Observation facility charge? What is your recommendation on how to bill for this scenario?

Thank you in advance!

For patients seen in the ED and transferred to an adjacent Observation Unit, can the hospital bill both an ED facility charge and Observation facility charge? What is your recommendation on how to bill for this scenario?

Thank you in advance!

Yes the facility can bill for multiple encounters on the same day. For this scenario you will have two different revenue centers so no modifier is necessary.

Yes the facility can bill for multiple encounters on the same day. For this scenario you will have two different revenue centers so no modifier is necessary.

Thank you for the response, Debra! I have had conflicting responses - some advised that it cannot be billed separately and would be bundled. I am not verse in facility billing and your response is helpful. Would you be able to direct me to a resource that supports this as I need to give this to leadership at my organization? Thanks!