Wiki Failed Induction of Labor/Abnormalities of forces of labor/Long Labor

ELBrock

Networker
Best answers
Hello! Is there any clarification on when to use these following codes separately or if they can be used together:
. Failed Induction of Labor" O61.0
. Secondary Uterine Inertia" (Arrested active phase labor) O62.1
. Prolonged Second Stage (of Labor) O63.1

If a patient presented for IOL, and was receiving Pitocin for over 24 hours and failed to dilate past 4 cm, I feel like all of these codes apply. It just seems like O62.1 and O63.1 might be the same issue. Does O63.1 mean that the patient did deliver vaginally eventually rather than moving to a C-Section?

Thank you!

The second stage of labor is the pushing stage - O63.1 simply means they pushed for a long time (2-3 hrs depending if prima or multi gravida) The patient may deliver vaginally in the end, perhaps with vacuum or forceps assistance, or may end up with c-sec. O62.1 is not the same issue - the active phase is part of the first stage of labor - usually the labor has stalled and dilation isn't progressing past about 4cm . They could all be used together if all occurred.

The second stage of labor is the pushing stage - O63.1 simply means they pushed for a long time (2-3 hrs depending if prima or multi gravida) The patient may deliver vaginally in the end, perhaps with vacuum or forceps assistance, or may end up with c-sec. O62.1 is not the same issue - the active phase is part of the first stage of labor - usually the labor has stalled and dilation isn't progressing past about 4cm . They could all be used together if all occurred.
I see! Thank you, that is where I was getting confused. When I researched the stages of labor, what came up were the three separate phases of the first stage of labor (with active phase being the second phase of the first stage). I also see now that the "prolonged phase of labor" must be supported with actual documented time of how long and that a note of "prolonged" labor is not sufficient.