• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten the password it can be reset on our sign in section by entering your registered Email Address or Username here. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..

Failed Rotator Cuff Repair - out of Global period.

LLRodgers

Guest
Messages
177
Location
Dayton, PA
Can anyone tell me how to code a failed rotator cuff repair - out of Global Period?

I am looking under complications but not sure if I go under postprocedural or surgical procedure, going under prosthetic device does not seem right to me. Can some one please help me.

Thank you,
LLR
 
In trying to help you I am assuming the patient in question had a Non-traumatic Complete Rotator Cuff Tear (M75.12 _) repaired in the past (beyond the 90 day Global time frame). Now the patient has a failed repair and a "Recurrent" Chronic Rotator Cuff Tear, and I am assuming there has been no trauma associated with the current retear/failure situation. So the patient now has M75.12 _ all over again. Without a history of "trauma," this "could" be considered a Spontaneous Rupture of Other Tendon (Repaired Rotator Cuff), i.e. a non-traumatic rupture of the (repaired) tendon at the musculotendonous junction/insertion: M66.81 _. This Code Set does not appear to Exclude the Rotator Cuff.
Also, there is T81.32X _: (Deep) Disruption of Internal operation/surgical wound, which includes the "dehiscence" of the closure/repair of a tendon.

Since this is outside the Global Period, you could probably use all three. I would probably sequence them as M75.12 _, T81.32X _, then M66.81 _. That would essentially "tell the story" of the situation. Others may think differently, and I would like to see what others say.

Respectfully submitted, Alan Pechacek, M.D.
icd10orthocoder.com
 
Top