Wiki Family Practice and OBGYN both seeing OB patient

jhack

Networker
Best answers
Family practice doc following a pregrancy and then an OBGYN doc delivers that patient. Can the family practice doc bill subsequent hospital visits and discharge for that same patient or is it included in the total ob package?

example - OBGYN bills 59400 on 1/1/2014
Family Practice bills 99222 on 1/1/14 for admit, 99232 on 1/2/14 and 1/3/14 and then 99238 on 1/4/14. The family practice was following the patient during the entire antepartum period. The OBGYN delivered. Both of these docs are withing the same group practice, but of different specialties.

Any insight would be appreciated.

The 59400 by definition is inclusive of all of the services both before and after the delivery. Definition, Routine obstetric care including antepartum care, vaginal delivery and postpartum care. This would be inclusive of the care rendered while inpatient. Unless the family practice provider had a separate reason for following the patient his care would be inclusive especially as they are within the same group practice.

It would be highly unlikely that the family practice provider would have sufficient reason for this as generally any medical reason for additional care would be defined as specialty care, which is not rendered by a family practice provider

Follow-up to this question

My family practice providers will see a patient during the antepartum period and if a C-section is needed to be performed, an outside provider will perform the delivery. My question is this, for normal postpartum inpatient rounds, can our provider submit a charge for this?

For example, an outside provider submits 59515 (C-section and postpartum care). They did the delivery and then they do postpartum rounds on the patient. Our provider does rounds on the patient as well (same day as outside provider). Can we still bill separately?

This is something I cannot find an answer to and am curious if this normal care is bundled into the delivery code even though the providers are from two different organizations.

I am still waiting to find out if postpartum rounds can be bill as a separate service by Hospitalist oB. Delivery is done by patient's OB/GYNE.