Fat pad biopsy

sscott@hogonc.com

Networker
Best answers
Can anyone help with how to code a fat pad biopsy? Below is the procedure note for this. I was leaning toward 11106, but I would like some input please. Thank you!

Patient was positioned in a supine position with abdomen exposed and cleaned with chlorhexidine covering an area approx 12 inches square over directly lateral to the umbilcus. lidocaine with epinephrine was utilized to numb the incision area and a depth of 1 inch below: A 0.75 inch incision was made through the skin to expose the adipose tissue. Tissue was excised using sterile scissors to produce an approximately 12mm specimen of fat placed in formalin solution and sent to lab for congo red staining. Estimated blood loss <2 ml with incision closed with steristrips x 6 to approximate the edges of the wound , followed by, application of large tegaderm to reinforce the surrounding skin until incision heals. Reviewed instructions to monitor for s/s of infection and report promptly should these occur.

So my first question to myself would be, what is the medical necessity of this procedure? Why did the provider want to biopsy adipose fat? Was there a suspicious lesion, or just a skin biopsy? Or was he just removing excess fat?