Wiki FDS repair

RebeccaMoney

Expert
Best answers
Please look at this op note. Is there tendon repair being done ? Dr. is listing the procedures as ORIF DIP fx(26765) and Complex laceration repair >3cm(13132). 26765 and 26350 were authorized but I can't tell if tendon repair was done because tendons were intact and I'm not seeing a complex laceration repair either.
Procedure: ...The digital nerves and arteries were part of the volar flap were left in place. Direct evaluation of the FDP & FDS tendon showed that these tendons were intact to the distal phalanx. It was dislocated dorsally . Reduction was performed & after this reduction, the joint was stable. Fracture fragments were identified and held in place in reduction clamp. A 1.5 mm screw was then placed across the fracture site. The finger was taken to the flexion and extension arc and no further abnormalities were noted. Incision was made in the A1 pulley. It was divided and the FDS was identified and manipulated with the Freer elevator. Normal motion at the PIP & DIP jts. was noted. The wounds were thoroughly irrigated and Incisions were closed with 5-0 Prolene in a horizontal mattress fashion.
Can anyone comment? Thanks,

This sounds more like an articular fracture (DIP fx). If that's the case, I would code 26746. If it's a distal phalanx fracture, then 26765. There's no suturing of the tendon, no advancement or reattachment, so I would not code a tendon repair. There's no documentation of complex laceration repair either. There's no measurement, debridement or description of layered closure, etc.