Wiki Federal govt medical coding job

Coder90

Contributor
Best answers
Has anyone worked for the federal government as a medical coder? The pay might be less than the private sector, but I'm wondering if the benefits would be better. Thank you!

Hi there - I have never worked for the federal government but I did attend a conference with a speaker that had worked for the government as a coder. I don't remember if she said anything in terms of pay or benefits. What stuck with me is the reason she left - when the government had its shutdowns due to budget concerns she did not get paid. That also meant that she lost her health insurance during the shutdown period. Pay and insurance coverage was not retroactive. After she experienced a second shutdown she decided to change jobs because she did not like the uncertainty but she did say she liked the work she was doing. Something to keep in mind when working for the government.

I wasn't working as a coder during 2020 so I don't know what it was like for coders working for the government or the private sector. I did get hours cut at the job I was working at the time.

I found an old post from 2011 that asked about government coding. If anyone has any insight on how that post compares to today I would be grateful.

I wasn't working as a coder during 2020 so I don't know what it was like for coders working for the government or the private sector. I did get hours cut at the job I was working at the time.

I found an old post from 2011 that asked about government coding. If anyone has any insight on how that post compares to today I would be grateful.
Look on Glassdoor to see if you can find the information.