Wiki Fibular Osteotomy/Total Ankle Arthroplasty

mlangford

Best answers
My ortho surgeon performed a fibular osteotomy with a total ankle arthroplasty. The description of the arthroplasty does not appear to include that work, but CCI edits of 27702 and 27707 say can be billed with 59 modifier. The diagnoses for the procedure are DJD, instability and anterior talar subluxation. I am questioning if the work of the osteotomy was to reach the ankle and therefore not separately billable. Does anyone have experience with this?

My ortho surgeon performed a fibular osteotomy with a total ankle arthroplasty. The description of the arthroplasty does not appear to include that work, but CCI edits of 27702 and 27707 say can be billed with 59 modifier. The diagnoses for the procedure are DJD, instability and anterior talar subluxation. I am questioning if the work of the osteotomy was to reach the ankle and therefore not separately billable. Does anyone have experience with this?

I show that 27707 is included in 27702 (cci), so you would not bill for the 27707 unless it was done on opposite ankle.
I am not aware of any exceptions to this.