Wiki FIFTH METATARSAL OSTECTOMY AT THE BASE

RebeccaMoney

Expert
Best answers
I can't find a code for this. I found ostectomy, fifth metatarsal head. Dr. gave me 28120. Would 28122 be correct? A calcaneal osteotomy (28300) was done also.
Description: ...The posterior calcaneus was mobilized iwth an osteotome and subsequently the osteotomy was translated laterally and the tuberosity fragment was then fixed to the body of the calcaneus with two 7.3 mm cannulated screws. I proceeded to the fifth metatarsal base where there was a large callus. This was then dissected bluntly down to the lateral base to allow smooth lateral surface.
Please help. thank you

Code 28120 is for removal of bone from the talus or calcaneus so this would not be the proper code for removal of bone from the 5th MT. Code 28122 could be the code your looking for. But I would ask you to have your doctor look at code 28005. This could be used if the surgeon removed cortical bone. I was just recently working with another coder with the same dilemma. She took these codes to her surgeon and the surgeon chose 28005 over 28122 since he removed deeper bone cortex.