Wiki Fine Needle Aspiration billing question???

Stonebr

Best answers
Help!
The patient has multiple nodules of the Thyroid.
The physician did 6 fine needle aspirations (10022). Should we bill for 6 units, or 1 unit since the needle is going in once and manipulated to different areas of the Thyroid?

Fna

Unfortunately you can only bill once, unless you do a core biopsy with a FNA, however, documentation needs to support that situation.

K, One other question? Is there any documentation anywhere that I could reference for the doubters. Thanks again.

FNA - dispute

If the six nodules are non-communicating and distinct/separate nodules AND 6 separate accesses were performed, you may code for each plus one unit of imaging guidance, if performed and documented. See Society of Interventional Radiology. Also - we can no longer code for FNA and core biopsy of same lesion unless the FNA biopsy was determined to be inadequate for dx.
AJ

Help!
The patient has multiple nodules of the Thyroid.
The physician did 6 fine needle aspirations (10022). Should we bill for 6 units, or 1 unit since the needle is going in once and manipulated to different areas of the Thyroid?

Yes, I agree with aj, I have never seen 6 punctures yet! Dr Z is a good reference also.