Wiki FINGER STUCK IN PIPE

jamiepeters

Networker
Best answers
Recently our provider saw a child in the ER that had his finger stuck in a metal pipe. Our provider had to cut the metal pipe while the child was under anesthesia in order to free his finger from the pipe. Does anyone know what CPT code we should use for this situation? The provider only cleaned a small abrasion on the finger after the pipe was removed the main part of the procedure was removing the pipe. I have included the entire note below. Thank you for your help
1629323664082.png

The laceration appears to be a minor and incidental finding after the removal of the pipe - it's not really the primary reason for the procedure. My preference would be to use S69.81XA for 'other specified injury' as a primary code since there really isn't a specific code to describe this particular type of situation.

The laceration appears to be a minor and incidental finding after the removal of the pipe - it's not really the primary reason for the procedure. My preference would be to use S69.81XA for 'other specified injury' as a primary code since there really isn't a specific code to describe this particular type of situation.
Thank you for that and your right it would be better as a primary ICD-10, do you have any thoughts about the CPT code?