Wiki flourescein eye exams

dsmith06351

Networker
Best answers
How would you code a flourescein eye exam in the doctors office? As an example the patient comes in to the office with sand in his eyes, a playmate threw sand on the playground. The doctor washes out the sand and performs a flouescein eye exam to check for abrasion. I am new to pediatric coding and I am being told that we do not bill for this, has anyone else come across this? Thanks for any input.

Denise

I have wondered the same thing. I don't think there is a code for it. If you find one please let me know.

I'm in peds too and we dont bill,I just make sure the doctor documments in detail.We have not found a code so we see it as inclusive in the E and M.However if there is enough documentation, they may be able to bill a higher E and M.

flourescein

I have been in Ped's for over 5 yrs and we havent billed for the flourecein we just include it in with the office visit. Just make sure documentation is there if you decide to upcode the level. This has been a non-payment with insur companies and shows a bigger write off within the office if you do bill it out. Hope this helps you! :)