Wiki Fluoro question

Best answers
I coded this as 22520, 72291, 22522, 72291-59 and 38220, 77002-59. I feel that there is a one to one correlation between the surgical codes and the radiology code. Or would the 72291 overide the 77002? Any thoughts?

T12 and L1 vertebroplasties; L1 bone marrow aspiration

History: Painful T12 and L1 compression fractures.

Technique: Timeout was performed. Skin over the low back prepped and draped sterilely. 2% lidocaine used as local anesthetic. Moderate sedation also administered. Under biplane fluoroscopy, 12-gauge transpedicular trochars were advanced into the T12 and L1 vertebral body, bilateral L1 and unilateral on the left at T12. From the right L1 trocar, aspiration of the L1 bone marrow was performed. Bone cement was instilled into all 3 trochars under intermittent fluoroscopic guidance. X-rays were obtained. Trochars were removed. No complications occurred.

Findings: There is rotatory levoscoliosis. Bones are demineralized. There is a severe T12 compression deformity and a mild to moderate L1 compression deformity. Bone marrow aspiration was obtained from the L1 vertebral body as described above. The bone was so soft that biopsy could not be performed. Bone cement partially fills the L1 vertebral body and the left portion of the T12 vertebral body, in excellent position. No evidence of a complication.

Result Impression

Successful and uncomplicated bone marrow aspiration at L1. Successful and uncomplicated T12 and L1 vertebroplasties. The patient reported significant pain relief 2 hours after the procedure, upon discharge.

I coded this as 22520, 72291, 22522, 72291-59 and 38220, 77002-59. I feel that there is a one to one correlation between the surgical codes and the radiology code. Or would the 72291 overide the 77002? Any thoughts?

T12 and L1 vertebroplasties; L1 bone marrow aspiration

History: Painful T12 and L1 compression fractures.

Technique: Timeout was performed. Skin over the low back prepped and draped sterilely. 2% lidocaine used as local anesthetic. Moderate sedation also administered. Under biplane fluoroscopy, 12-gauge transpedicular trochars were advanced into the T12 and L1 vertebral body, bilateral L1 and unilateral on the left at T12. From the right L1 trocar, aspiration of the L1 bone marrow was performed. Bone cement was instilled into all 3 trochars under intermittent fluoroscopic guidance. X-rays were obtained. Trochars were removed. No complications occurred.

Findings: There is rotatory levoscoliosis. Bones are demineralized. There is a severe T12 compression deformity and a mild to moderate L1 compression deformity. Bone marrow aspiration was obtained from the L1 vertebral body as described above. The bone was so soft that biopsy could not be performed. Bone cement partially fills the L1 vertebral body and the left portion of the T12 vertebral body, in excellent position. No evidence of a complication.

Result Impression

Successful and uncomplicated bone marrow aspiration at L1. Successful and uncomplicated T12 and L1 vertebroplasties. The patient reported significant pain relief 2 hours after the procedure, upon discharge.

72291 is the S&I for vertebroplasty, and it overrides 77002.
Thanks,
Jim Pawloski, CIRCC