Wiki Fluoroscopy coding in physician office

chrisbaltas

Best answers
Can anyone please answer this question: I have a Hand surgeon that has a mini c-arm in his office and he codes 76000 when he takes a picture for diagnostic purposes.

He was also using this code while performing an injection. I believe the correct cpt for the use of the fluoroscopy during the injection is 77002 which be the additional code to the injection code. However when the provider does the Fluoroscopy just for diagnostic purposes to view the joint of the hand I believe he should be using 76942, the unlisted fluoroscopy code.

The company that sold him the machine told him to code 76000. Or should the physician be using an x-ray code to describe what he did, as he has no x-ray machine in his office.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
:confused:

Jen

I also code 77002 for fluoroscopy during injections so I'd agree with that.
I'm not sure about the rest of your question since I've never really dealt with fluoroscopies outside of just for injections. But 76496 in parentheses does include diagnostic flouroscopies so I think that would make sense. Also 76000 can only be reported when it is a stand-alone procedure, so it can't be during another procedure like for injections. I don't know which code is most appropriate to use for diagnostic fluoroscopies though... Although I'm not sure how many insurance carriers will accept 76496 since it's an unlisted procedure...
Wish I could be of more help! I'm interested to see what other people suggest. Best of luck!

I have read that if they are using it for x-ray purposes that they should code the x-ray code . Just not sure. I don't want to educate the provider with the wrong information.

I have read that if they are using it for x-ray purposes that they should code the x-ray code . Just not sure. I don't want to educate the provider with the wrong information.

Yeah, I know what you mean. It's confusing too because fluoroscopies are continuous X-ray pictures so I'd assume it could be categorized as x-ray in that context but it's always best to find out for sure.