Wiki Follow-up E/M

crowemd

Contributor
Best answers
Can anyone tell me the correct way to code a Follow-up visit in the office for a patient recently discharged from the hospital? I am getting various ways from different people and I'd just like to know the correct way. Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance.

If this is just a follow up, as in no procedure was done and no global period applies, you would use the appropriate established patient E/M based on documentatation (99212-99215).

If there was a surgery with a global period this most likely will be a no charge 99024 unless something else was done/addressed. If there was a procedure done, like thoracentesis you would bill for that, or an E/M unrelated to the surgery (they had CTS but your provider also treats them for a sinus infection) you would use the appropriate established patient E/M with a 24 modifier.

Laura, CPC, CEMC

Thanks for the reply, but my actual question was what is the best way to code this, the procedure I know. Do I need to use a V-code or just code their current problems?

Thanks again.

Again going back to what Laura stated it depends on what the patient was in for. If it is post surgical then a V code if it is post stroke with residuals then it is a 438.x and so on so it depends . We need more information to give a better answer.