• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..
  • Important Note: We will be performing a scheduled maintenance on 1st November 2020. The site will be offline from 7:30PM (MT) till midnight. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Follow-up visits 1-5 years after gastric bypass surgery

iluvicd9

Networker
Best answers
We are having a problem with diagnoses when a patient returns for follow-up after gastric bypass surgery. Our patients need follow-up one to five years after the procedure for statistic purposes/guidelines.

If the patient is doing well a year after the gastric bypass surgery, would malabsorption 579.3 be a valid dx?

Appreciate everyone's thoughts. Thanks.

scorrado

Expert
Best answers
I would think V4586- s/p gastric bypass would be sufficient. If not maybe the reason they had the gastric bypass to begin with like morbid obesity. We do not do these surgeries so I am just taking a guess based on my experience in coding some cardiac things in the past. If the patient had a pacemaker and we were following up we would either use the V code or the reason they had the pacemaker like 42731 - atrial fib. Hope this info helps!