Wiki Fracture Diagnosis

Kris78

Networker
Best answers
Will someone please shed some light on fracture diagnosis coding?
Specifically pertaining to coding to the highest specificity when the provider is not too specific in their note.

Example:
Orthopedic consult in the hospital states that the patient has a left distal radius fracture and will require stabilization.
I'm left to coding s52.50xx. If I look at the radiology report and also his op note preoperative dx the following day they both state left distal radius intra-articular fx which would allow a more specified code.

**side note: if the provider documentation does not identify the location of an infarction I am allowed to use imaging reports to pinpoint location and use a more specific infarction code**

question here is:
Am I allowed to do the same for fractures? Can I refer to the radiology report or another note in the record that specifies the type of fracture? and if so where does it state that? I have looked and looked with no luck.

thanks in advance for your help!

This is where you would need to query the provider, for a more detailed diagnosis and have him amend his operative report. We never go by radiology report. Its always whats documented in operative report and/or pathology report. I hope this helps.