Wiki Fracture issue?

daedolos

Expert
Best answers
Has anyone used S82.831 or S82.832? The verbiage is weird but ICD10Data portal shows approximate synonyms to be proximal OR distal. Just curious as I get a lot of ankle fractures in the clinic.

Peace
@_*
Thanks in advance.

As written, S82.831 or 2 are quite strange, being both "specific" in some respects, and "nonspecific" in others. They are for "Other" fractures of the upper and lower end of the fibula. The "and" in the descriptor means that there are 2 fibular fractures, one proximal and one distal. "Other" usually means "none of the above," which is that these fractures are not identified or specifically described in any other fractures of the fibula. In a sense, this would be a type of "segmental" fracture of the fibula, which is covered by S82.46 _ _: Segmental fracture of the fibular "shaft." Consequently, the S82.83 codes would be very rarely used. It could be used in the case of a fracture of the fibular neck and an isolated lateral malleolar fracture. The issue would be whether to use this code or code each fracture separately. I would probably do the latter.

If your fracture doesn't really fit any of the "specific" codes for the tibia, fibula, or ankle, there is S82.89 _ _: "Other" fractures of the lower leg, which only adds to the confusion. I refer you to icd10orthocoder.com/blog where I have a Blog pertaining to Fractures of the Lower Leg and Ankle. You might find this helpful.

Respectfully submitted, Alan Pechacek, M.D.
icd10orthocoder.com