Wiki Fracture

LLRodgers

Best answers
Hello,

I have one where the patient was seen in the hospital as a consult on 11/3/15 for a distal fibula fracture by our doctor.

Then on 11/16/15 the patient comes to the office for a fallow up on that fracture, first time we have seen them in our office.

The hospital did not code a fracture care, and since it had been 2 weeks since we saw them in the hospital and on the follow up the x-ray showed new bone formation. I coded it with a straight E/M code.

Was this correct or should I have used the fracture care code?

Thank you,
LLR

You did not provide fracture care so no you cannot bill it.. For follow up for a healing fx if fx care was not originally billed you use an E&M code. It is called alternative fx billing. You ICD-10 CM cod will be subsequent care.

fracture/ortho

Hi Debra,

I see that you have hospital certification...quick question. I do facility billing at a new job...if an ortho comes into the ER and applies a splint on a non displaced radius fx. He orders xrays, applies splint/cast, and has the patient follow up with him for fx care am I coding it as radius fx with no manip or am I just giving him the cast.

ss