Wiki Fractured tooth in the ED

mdixon2

Contributor
Best answers
I am trying to code a dental fracture from an ED visit. The code for a fractured tooth is 873.63. I am unable to find an E code for this. I have always been taught that all 800-900 codes require E codes. Does anyone know if this is true for dental? If so does anyone know the E code i would use. The tooth was fractured while the patient was eating.

I disagree. For broken tooth due to any injury or trauma only will capture 873.63 with some E-codes based upon the nature of injury. Here the tooth is been broken while eating, which will capture 521.81 cracked tooth without any E-codes. Hope it will helpfull to you.

Ahamed fahath CPC

Assumption of Disease?

I haven't seen 521.81 used much for ED visits for cracked teeth. 521.81 is in Diseases of Digestive System of ICD-9. So I think we would need more information about the patient before determining the right code. If the patient had some pre existing gum disease or tooth decay documented the code makes sense. But if none is documented, a person could crack a tooth biting too hard on some hard food which could be trauma, so I'd go with 873.63.

Jim