Wiki Free CEU opportunity for the Pathology Specialty

danachock

Expert
Best answers
Hi Colleagues,
Good evening, I am going to be presenting a hands on interactive virtual presentation "101 Pathology in both Surgical Pathology with some Cytology" to my local chapter on 4/4/2023 at 5:30 PM CST worth 1.5 CEUs and I would like to invite you to attend if you are interested please. This is a first time presentation to be utilized as the foundation/base for upcoming presentation(s) that I will be performing this year.
Therefore, I would be so eager for insight from my pathology colleagues to fine tune on what needs to be added or omitted and so forth of course. I would only request if you have questions that I could present on with current coding woes that would be amazing. Please be sure to have both your CPT and ICD book on hand for this exciting event!!
If you would like to register, please send an email to brainerdaapcchapter@gmail.com with your name, your AAPC ID number along with the chapter you are affiliated with. These are the only requirements to attend this free virtual event.
If you would like to ask a question "outside" of this forum, simply include your question(s) with your request to attend the virtual presentation okay. This is my chapter's email and I will review all the requests as I begin to finish fine tuning my presentation okay in this next week.
Thank you for listening and if you have any questions, please reach out. I post will post this on the Free CEU's FB (social media) website and those that contact me that the email is incorrect usually miss the the period (dot) between gmail and "dot" com.
Dana Chock, CPC, CANPC, CHONC, CPMA, CPB, RHIT

Hi Colleagues,
Good evening, I am going to be presenting a hands on interactive virtual presentation "101 Pathology in both Surgical Pathology with some Cytology" to my local chapter on 4/4/2023 at 5:30 PM CST worth 1.5 CEUs and I would like to invite you to attend if you are interested please. This is a first time presentation to be utilized as the foundation/base for upcoming presentation(s) that I will be performing this year.
Therefore, I would be so eager for insight from my pathology colleagues to fine tune on what needs to be added or omitted and so forth of course. I would only request if you have questions that I could present on with current coding woes that would be amazing. Please be sure to have both your CPT and ICD book on hand for this exciting event!!
If you would like to register, please send an email to brainerdaapcchapter@gmail.com with your name, your AAPC ID number along with the chapter you are affiliated with. These are the only requirements to attend this free virtual event.
If you would like to ask a question "outside" of this forum, simply include your question(s) with your request to attend the virtual presentation okay. This is my chapter's email and I will review all the requests as I begin to finish fine tuning my presentation okay in this next week.
Thank you for listening and if you have any questions, please reach out. I post will post this on the Free CEU's FB (social media) website and those that contact me that the email is incorrect usually miss the the period (dot) between gmail and "dot" com.
I am interested, I sent you an e-mail. Thank you.

Hi Colleagues,
I am interested as well. Sent my request to the email presented. Thank you!

Hey Dana
just wanted to tell you that I enjoyed the presentation and examples you gave yesterday. It was my first time participating in something that I was interested in and walking away with little nuggets of wisdom from someone with your expertise. Thanks for the open invitation. Please let us know when you plan another.

~Angie ~

Hey Angie,
You are so welcome. I am so glad you were able to attend my presentation yesterday. I do unfortunately still struggle with doing presentations, but I know that as a coding colleague that I have information that I would love to share with you and all our fellow pathology colleagues especially in my favorite specialty pathology that others may find helpful and useful with their coding assignment. I am confident that one day that I will become more acclimated presenting these presentations. I have a couple of presentations "in the works" with other AAPC chapters (I believe I am at 9-10 presentations for this calendar year) that I will be doing virtually. I am hopeful that these chapters will extend the invitation to allow other members to attend. If you are on social media there is a "CEUs for AAPC (Free or Cheap)" that many chapters post their events on that you may want to join??
Again, thank you for your kind words and have a great evening,
Dana

It was very informative and well presented and I am looking forward to attending future events with Dana as a featured speaker. The "real world" case examples are very apropos and germane to my everyday work flow!

Thank you, again!

Dana,
I do not code pathology, but I wish I did, based on all the positive feedback your trainings receive.

I am correct in assuming that your presentations are for those who are already familiar with pathology coding and not beginners?
:)

It was very informative and well presented and I am looking forward to attending future events with Dana as a featured speaker. The "real world" case examples are very apropos and germane to my everyday work flow!

Thank you, again!

LaurieEaston,​

Thank you again Laurie so much for attending my presentation last Tuesday. You are so very kind with all of your compliments that you shared after the presentation. If you ever simply need any help, you have my personal email, and I am so hopeful you will reach out to me for assistance okay.
Again, thank you for being there for me and have a wonderful day!
Dana

Dana,
I do not code pathology, but I wish I did, based on all the positive feedback your trainings receive.

I am correct in assuming that your presentations are for those who are already familiar with pathology coding and not beginners?
Hi lgardner
Oh goodness no, my interactive presentations are aimed for those that never coded a pathology case in their lifetime along with those that are seasoned and know how to code pathology that possibly received a very small gold nugget from my presentation to take with them moving forward in their pathology career. I had participants that had no experience in pathology CPT assignment and only attended for the diagnosis portion along with those seasoned that threw out their CPT and ICD assignments. We had several participating and responding not to the whole group but just to me which was okay.
My presentation is a two-part scenario. I provide a horribly fictious pathology report from the top of my head for both CPT and ICD assignment (no MRN, no accession number, and Dr. Big Bird was busy). I simply requested CPT and ICD assignment and several people participated in the chat box. While I was presenting that I could verbally respond to while seeing those chats.
Everything I presented was a single part pathology case. Except one complex case where the specimen bucket the pathology department had received had more than one item that could be separately charged.
I completely understand your questions. I am not about to change how I present unless I see that the chat responses are null (none). Our pathology coding colleagues are in real time bad a**es and if they have a question they will respond.
I'd personally love to present in the AAPC environment in pathology. There simply aren't any pathology resources.

Dana,

As @danachock stated, a variety of coders can benefit from her presentation. I never code pathology, but did attend last week even though I don't even need the CEUs. I personally appreciate learning from those who are experts and/or passionate about their niche. While most of what was covered does not pertain to my everyday activities at work, it was educational, informative, interactive and challenging. I took it to focus on the diagnosis portion since I work in oncology. IMHO the best part was the interactions. Many speakers are informative, but the presentation is just that - a presentation and you get the same info whether you attend or read the slides on your own. This was - here's a case - what would you code? And WHY. This is one of those presentations that if the members are not interacting, this would not nearly be the same experience. It was the hardest I've worked at an AAPC chapter meeting. And I loved it! Some of it was clearly above my head without studying. Dana did a great job of explaining the more complex issues to the non-pathology coders. FIVE STARS!! 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 :geek:

thank you, Dana and Christine and everyone else who responded.

I agree with you Christine, I love to learn, and with my current position I am trying to expand my knowledge base.

I also, don't need CEUs right now, so that is not why I am looking for presentations to attend.

I will definitely try to make the next presentation.

Is there a link or the time/date info?

thanks!

thank you, Dana and Christine and everyone else who responded.

I agree with you Christine, I love to learn, and with my current position I am trying to expand my knowledge base.

I also, don't need CEUs right now, so that is not why I am looking for presentations to attend.

I will definitely try to make the next presentation.

Is there a link or the time/date info?

thanks!
Hi lgardner,
I just sent a PM to you via AAPC a moment ago for an opportunity.
Thank you again for expressing interest in attending one of my presentations.
Hopefully this timeline works with your schedule.
Thanks,
Dana

Hi csperoni,
Oh my goodness your response has me clearly beside myself. I am so incredibly humbled and pleased by your very kind words. I believe that I remember you from the chat line and I kind of chuckled to myself that if I recall correctly you don't code "flow cytometry or pathology" and was just there for the diagnosis part and you were a bad ass just simply participating and sharing your thoughts the whole way through the presentation. Oh how fun and cool of you; I am so incredibly pleased you were there!! 5 stars absolutely blows my mind and I strive to continue that moving forward through my presentations this year for other AAPC chapters in pathology.
I hope you have a fantastic evening.
Dana

Hi Dana, I am a coder in Pathology and would love to have any words of wisdom you may have. Is there a course specifically outlined for pathology? I did not get to hear your presentation but would love to if you have it recorded. Please send me any help you could provide. Thank you so much and I look forward to hearing from you.

Hi kbethy824,
No unfortunately the pathology specialty is like the red headed stepchild and that there is no "official" course specifically designated for our specialty. Therefore, I took the CHONC certification (that certification really doesn't meet the expectations one would have in a pathology specialty of course "in my complete and very kind opinion". Why would anyone need to know how to code chemotherapy when all I am coding is pathology), right??
There really should be in my wholehearted opinion a coding certification for the pathology specialty, we pretty much have a certification for just about everything else if you glance at the certifications available.
I'm entirely game to become an instructor in the pathology specialty (if one was to actually exist, and I would be so pleased to take an actual certification dedicated to our pathology specialty).
Those options I just provided are not up to me but simply to the AAPC.
I just PM you on the AAPC with additional information. No, I do not have a recorded presentation. I don't believe that follows our AAPC rules. But I sent you a link to a presentation that I will be doing in June.
If you need anything, please reach out to me okay.
Dana

Hello kingdede,
No, you are never too late for the game. Never! We are unfortunately not allowed to record the presentations. I have been busy presenting for many wonderful AAPC chapters with many more to come soon. Please check your schedule. I present virtually "A 101 Pathology Presentation" for Fort Worth, TX on 9/19 and Kalispell, MT on 9/21. I am also presenting for my chapter on 9/26 on the "Proper Use of the Neoplasm Table". You may also find that joining our FB page "Pathology Coding Across the World" may assist you?
I'm just trying to provide you with all the resources that I can to assist you in your pathology career.
Please respond if you if you have any questions or concerns okay!
Dana

Hi Ms. Dana may i know what is your facebook page thanks. I want to register for free Ceus
Hello Maryruth10,
It is called "Pathology Coding Across the World".
I invited those members to an AAPC presentation this evening. Dr. Kendall (pathologist) presented on all the coding questions that those that review the pathology report had this evening!!
She is such a phenomenal speaker. We are planning to host a CEU opportunity every six months from now moving forward for coders to have the opportunity to discuss coding woes and request guidance for help with CPT and ICD assignment(s). Also, if you are interested; I am presenting on the Neoplasm table on 9/26/2023 at 5:30 PM CST for 1.5 hours. To preregister; you need to send your AAPC #, chapter affiliation, and email to
brainerdaapcchapter@gmail.com to register and we will send you the link.
Thank you again for your interest,
Dana