Wiki From construction to medical coding

Best answers
Hello,

I just obtained my CPC-A and currently taking the practicode through AAPC. Since my experience is in construction safety, I'm finding it hard to transition my resume into a medical coding resume. Any advice on how to make my application stand out?

When I got my CPC-A, I had been a stay-at-home mom for several years and all my work experience, before that, was waitressing and bartending.

I was lucky that I had an acquaintance who wrote resumes for a living and she helped me out.

Basically, my resume is skill based. It lists my skills and general experience (like strong communication). I'm sure that a lot of your experience can be framed in a way that transfers to your new potential career.

I hope you find this a little helpful.

Good luck!

Analytical and problem solving skills. Does your experience in construction translate to figuring out problems? Staying calm and collected under time crunches? Understanding math, measurements, and following directions to lead you to the correct answer? If you are "off" will building fall down? That translates, in my opinion. Details and following a clear path matter in both.

Analytical and problem solving skills. Does your experience in construction translate to figuring out problems? Staying calm and collected under time crunches? Understanding math, measurements, and following directions to lead you to the correct answer? If you are "off" will building fall down? That translates, in my opinion. Details and following a clear path matter in both.
Yes! You nailed it. Most of my resume says I did onsite job inspections and working out in the field. So I'm trying to replace that with more relevant tasks. And your examples helped very much. Thank you!