Wiki Frustrated CPC-A

RanaeD

New
Best answers
Feeling frustrated with coding in general...cannot get a job within coding due to NO experience.

I have been lucky enough to get a full time secretarial job with Meridian at one of the hospitals here in NJ, but NOT coding. I applied for two coding jobs within Meridian and was told since I don't have a CSC I cannot even be considered for the jobs. I went to school to get certified in coding...of course not realizing that there is a variety of specialized certifications you can get. I graduated with a CPC-A and now realize I need the CSC in order to MAYBE land a hospital coding job. I really don't have the money to go back in order to obtain that certification. I'm also loosing what I learned since I'm not using it! Any suggestions...similar experiences? Thanks! :)

If you are interested in the CCS exam you should check out the AHIMA website. You don't necessarily need to go back to school for this, a study guide to prepare you for the exam may be sufficient. Something to keep in mind, hospitals in particular want experience. You may have better luck looking for a physician coding job, that is what the CPC prepares you for. Some hospitals will accept a CPC but most want the CCS.

Heather CPC