Wiki Full thickness burn Debridement and Dressing

joglesbee

Best answers
One of our doctors just took care of a ful thickness burn in our office without a skin graft because of the location of the burn. What I am needing to know is how to code this. The 16020 code really doesn't apply because it is:

Dressing and/or debridement of partial-thickness burns.

Can anyone help me out?

There are 2 codes that I am really looking between:

There is 16020 - but this only covers partial-thickness burns.

Then there is 11042 - but this code typically excludes burns.

There are also surgical preparation of full thickness burns for grafting codes, but I didn't think that would be what we were looking for.

Need to see the note

In order to answer your question accurately, we would need to see the scrubbed note of the visit / procedure.

Hope that helps.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC

I will give what I can, but no easy way to copy and paste note, then scrub.

Now this is a worker's compensation claim, so wording can be a little different.

Injury Description: Patient received a burn on left leg after molten steel spilled onto his left lower leg and foot, burning through his boots.

HPI: Primary problem is a third degree burn located on the lateral side of leg and foot and describes it as burning. He considers it sever with less then a day since the onset of the burns. The pain seems to be constant with a pain level of 9/10.

Examination:
Left lower leg: A burn in present over the lower leg. The central area is white. The patient does not have sensation in the center of the burn area. The area is about 2 cm in diameter. The skin edges are burnt and crisp. Erythema is present over lower leg.

Left ankle: A burn in present over the lower leg. The central area is white. The patient does not have sensation in the center of the burn area. The area is about 4 cm in diameter. The skin edges are burnt and crisp. Erythema is present over ankle.

Procedures: Wound on the leg and ankler were cleaned. Burns of the leg was debrided through the dermis, removing the burnt and crisp edges. A good margin was achieved. Wounds were dressed with silvadene. Burns of the ankle were debrided, removing the burnt and crisp edges. A good margin was achieved. Wounds were dressed with silvadene.

Side note:
Patient was referred to a burn center after the visit, but because of WC, the patient was scheduled 2 days after the accident. So it will not interfere with coding this.

if you guys are needing any more please let me know. Monday I have to just make a judgement call and I would hate to code wrong.

Looks like 16020, 16025 OR 16030

This looks like burn dressing to me. Can't tell you exactly which code to use, because to accurately code this the documentation needs to state the % TBSA addressed.

Hope that helps.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC