Wiki Future need of coders

Best answers
I am wondering what the future need for coders will be with an increase in physician's and hospitals going to software programs such as code assist. Is there going to be an increase in demand for coders or will the demand decrease? It is hard enough trying to gain experience and it is very discouraging when you can't get a job.

I am wondering what the future need for coders will be with an increase in physician's and hospitals going to software programs such as code assist. Is there going to be an increase in demand for coders or will the demand decrease? It is hard enough trying to gain experience and it is very discouraging when you can't get a job.

Computers can't replace coders, try as they might. There's too much subjectivity in coding, and too many aspects that require human interpretation (such as figures of speech, drawing conclusions based on context clues, and guideline interpretations) for a computer to calculate everything correctly, every time. Personally, I see that function of EMR as more of a hinderance to providers than a helper, but I think it'll be a while before a lot of doctors catch on to how much they could be losing, or how much risk they're taking on, in relying on software for their coding.

The future of coding that I see is this: Assuming that the PPACA isn't repealed (I don't see repeal happening anytime soon, despite all of the partisan squabbles), healthcare finance is going to be put under the microscope like never before. Lawmakers are going to look for anywhere that money can be saved, and claims paid erroneously to providers due to incorrect coding will eventually be singled out as a target for reform. Mark my words: someday, it's going to be a requirement for coders to be certified. If it doesn't become a law, then it's going to be a requirement for malpractice insurance, or for payor contracts with providers. I'm dumbfounded at why it's not already a law - you'd think that the quality of the foundation of reimbursement for healthcare services would be something worth overseeing, and it seems like that's the only thing in this industry that's not controlled by some kind of regulations.

Try your hand at claims follow-up, if you can. It's a good way to get your foot in the door, and makes you more well-rounded as a coder. I got my start there, and I'd recommend it to anyone! Follow-up led me to coding, and then to auditing. Whatever you do, don't give up! You passed the test, so you're one giant leap closer to being where you want to be - just consider taking a little detour to get there, if it's too hard to find work right away. Good luck! ;)

Oh don't worry, I'm not about to give up. I've worked to hard and to long to get to where I'm at. I did gain experience in an insurance company, I will leave the name out, however they have choosen to outsource their coding department because, as they put it, it will save them some 90 million dollars...la la la

It just irritates me to no end that employers are so willing to out source our jobs in the states and then you have people wondering why so many are homeless and there is so much anger.

It took me over a year to get the 9 months of experience I have been able to get. I am willing to take a lower paying job and something, anything just to get my foot in the door. As my former front line leader told me, I am anal and I don't give up.

I just needed to get this off my chest.

Oh don't worry, I'm not about to give up. I've worked to hard and to long to get to where I'm at. I did gain experience in an insurance company, I will leave the name out, however they have choosen to outsource their coding department because, as they put it, it will save them some 90 million dollars...la la la

It just irritates me to no end that employers are so willing to out source our jobs in the states and then you have people wondering why so many are homeless and there is so much anger.

It took me over a year to get the 9 months of experience I have been able to get. I am willing to take a lower paying job and something, anything just to get my foot in the door. As my former front line leader told me, I am anal and I don't give up.

I just needed to get this off my chest.

You'll do fine. You're in the one business where working hard will actually get you somewhere - I would know. I was cleaning houses 4 years ago, and now I'm in charge of coding compliance for 120+ providers. Just pay your dues and get that "A" off of your credential, and you'll go somewhere. Sticking it out at a low paying job may be your best bet at the moment. It's experience, right? :)

I know of a payer that outsources their provider services to Convergys - I've worked at Convergys. Their employee turnover doesn't outlast the life of a claim. It is annoying, but that's capitalism at its finest, for you. Search the want ads and go door-to-door at clinics looking for any position you can. Receptionist, medical records custodian, claims follow-up; heck, if they've got an opening for someone to take out the trash part-time, apply for it. Let everyone know about your experience and certifications, and that you're hungry to learn more. Go in with the expectation that you don't know everything, but there's nothing you can't learn, and you're just trying to build yourself as a professional in this industry. Any clinic that would turn away someone who can be trained for a dual purpose (as a backup biller or coder), when they've already shown that they're driven and capable, would be foolish. Good luck to you! ;)

Thank you for the words of encouragement, Brandi. When I get back home, I moved 3 1/2 hours away for this job I'm in now. I plan on bugging the heck out of people. They won't know what has hit them...LOL

You have yourself a great day..