Wiki Gad charges in outpt MRI facility

rlmarkow

Best answers
This was presented to me by one of my doctors.....
Any input would be greatly appreciated!

regarding our MRI gadolinium contrast. WE are now using 95% gadavist. It comes in 7.5 and 10cc vials. I am told we bill for the vial and include the disgard. Are you aware of this and billing appropriately. I have seen some other imaging centers dictated reports stating. 6cc gadavist from 10 cc vial with 4 cc disgarded. I don't want to increase work, but is this necessary?

This was presented to me by one of my doctors.....
Any input would be greatly appreciated!

regarding our MRI gadolinium contrast. WE are now using 95% gadavist. It comes in 7.5 and 10cc vials. I am told we bill for the vial and include the disgard. Are you aware of this and billing appropriately. I have seen some other imaging centers dictated reports stating. 6cc gadavist from 10 cc vial with 4 cc disgarded. I don't want to increase work, but is this necessary?

Medicare allows you to code/bill discarded contrast material from single use vials/products. The Medicare contractor has the option to choose to require the JW modifier for the wasted amount or not, so you need to check their website to see if they want it.
Contrast is packaged under OPPS for outpatient hospitals and not paid separately, but it is paid separately under the physician fee schedule.