Wiki General Anesthesia Qualifications

renifejn

Guru
Best answers
Does anyone know where I can find a source that lists what qualifications are necessary for a provider to perform mac/general anesthesia. I know that a provider who performs mac anesthesia must be able to also provide general so i need to know the qualifications for the provider.

thanks

renifejn,

Below is from the NCCI Policy Manual Chapter 2 along with the web link. I don't think it's exactly what you're looking for but maybe it helps?? And, of course, the provider must to be performing services within the scope of their state licensure.

"Monitored Anesthesia Care (MAC) may be performed by an anesthesia practitioner who administers sedatives, analgesics, hypnotics, and other anesthetic agents so that the patient remains responsive and breathes on his own. MAC provides anxiety relief, amnesia, pain relief, and comfort. MAC involves patient monitoring sufficient to anticipate the potential need to administer general anesthesia during a surgical or other procedure. MAC requires careful and continuous evaluation of various vital physiologic functions and the recognition and treatment of any adverse changes."

http://www.cms.hhs.gov/NationalCorrectCodInitEd/01_overview.asp#TopOfPage

Julie, CPC