Wiki "generalized" as quality in HPI

drashby

Networker
Best answers
In the following HPI statement, "the patient is complaining of generalized weakness and fatigue" Can generalized be counted as quality?

Thanks for your in-put

In the following HPI statement, "the patient is complaining of generalized weakness and fatigue" Can generalized be counted as quality?

Thanks for your in-put

I would count 'generalized' as location (since it's saying that the weakness is occuring in the whole body, as opposed to a specific area), and fatigue as an associated sign/symptom. Hope that helps! ;)

Good thought, btadlock1. That was my initial thinking as well.

WPS, my carrier, states we can not use generalized as a location. However, I felt is was the quality of the fatigue and weakness. I always thing of quality as an adjective describeing the cheif complaint. "Generalized", to me, seemed to be describing the fatigue and weakness.

Thoughts? Arguments?

generalized seems to me to be describing the location, all over the body. I would not consider it quality since it does not describe HOW the patient feels but where they feel it.

I would prefer taking "generalised" as quality. Generalised wekness refers to weakness throughout the body. It doesn't refers to a particular body part.So we can't consider for location