Wiki Genicular Nerve Block CPT 64450

tatumroe

Networker
Best answers
I am looking for clarification and coding help for CPT code 64450. Our pain management provider performed a genicular nerve block on a patient. He indicated in his note that he injected the superior medial and laeral epicondyles of the femur as well as the distal aspect of the medial tibial epicondyle. I am reading that CPR code 64450 is billed only once per nerve or branch, not per injection. I spoke with the provider and he stated that the 3 injections were into 3 separate branches of the femoral nerve, which is of course 3 branches but 1 nerve, so I am confused. I have also found articles that indicate to bill with 3 units with a 51 modifier. If someone in the pain management world can help shed some light on this subject I would appreciate it. Thank you in advance.

I am looking for clarification and coding help for CPT code 64450. Our pain management provider performed a genicular nerve block on a patient. He indicated in his note that he injected the superior medial and laeral epicondyles of the femur as well as the distal aspect of the medial tibial epicondyle. I am reading that CPR code 64450 is billed only once per nerve or branch, not per injection. I spoke with the provider and he stated that the 3 injections were into 3 separate branches of the femoral nerve, which is of course 3 branches but 1 nerve, so I am confused. I have also found articles that indicate to bill with 3 units with a 51 modifier. If someone in the pain management world can help shed some light on this subject I would appreciate it. Thank you in advance.

We use to bill with 3 units without a problem, but the number of units to bill for Genicular Nerve Block changed in 2016.