Wiki getting aquainted visit

meganpoelzer

Networker
Best answers
A patient had an appointment with one of our internists just to "get aquainted", no issues and no routine exam performed. Vitals taken, hx taken, and ros documented. Would anyone have a clue on how to code this correctly, either cpt or icd-9 code?
Megan, CPC

I am not sure if this is correct or not, but I work for a family practice doctor and we have seen patients just to get them established, and what we billed was a problem focused exam NP 99202-99204 and listed for dx codes the top 1-4 things they listed as active problems (eg hypertension, diabetes, COPD....). The reason being, when the doctor was in there with them, he did discuss with them their medical history and active problems they have, even though he may not have done anything in regards to it at this time. Hope that helps you.

Only exam is vitals?

You MUST meet all three key elements, including an exam, for all new patient codes.

If your only "exam" is vitals that might qualify for a 99201. But I'd need to see the rest of the documentation to be sure. If the physician documented total time spent face-to-face, and that more than half that time was in counseling/coordination of care, you could use time to determine the level of new patient visit (10 minutes for 99201).

I think the best policy is to have a "meet and greet" interview that you never bill out to any insurance. You tell the potential patient up front that this is not a covered service by insurance and that the patient will be expected to pay for the service at the time of the interview. The whole encounter could take place in the doctor's office. You might want to create a "dummy" code for tracking purposes.

If the patient has health issues that s/he wants addressed, s/he will have to make an appointment for a new-patient visit ... full history, appropriate exam, appropriate MDM.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC