Wiki Getting ready to take the CCC

bridie25

Networker
Best answers
My exam is in July and I need the study material, my boss paid for the exam but not the study material. Can anyone help me out?

CCC exam

The study guide and practice are much needed! I took the exam in Dec and didn't pass. It is hard. Make sure you know EP, peripherals, and the guidelines. But you should really get the study guide and practice exam, also you can have one refer book besides your ICD-10, CPT, and HCPCs books. I would recommend getting the 2016 Coding Companion for Cardiology/Cardiothoractic Surgery/Vascular Surgery. Just make sure you really know EP and peripherals!!

Hope this helps and good luck!!

The resource that I used is from Coding Strategies, Navigator for Comprehensive Cardiology

I purchased this out of pocket and found I liked this publication better than Dr. Z's book, which my employer purchased for me. I also had an older copy of Coding Companion and didn't find it to be all that helpful. The Coding Strategies book is more like a textbook than a reference book.

I took the exam this past December and, at the time, had been coding cardiology for 1.5 years. I found the exam easier than the CPC or COC and finished in about 3.5 hours. I passed with 83%.

As Codergirl said, know your EP and peripherals. Our EP doesn't do EP procedures at our hospital so I had never coded these before. Also, our Interventionalists don't do that many peripheral procedures, but at least I had experience coding these.

Remember that you can miss 45 questions and still pass so if you know your other stuff you could totally bomb EP or peripherals and still pass. When I took the exam I figured there were about 30 questions that I wasn't that confident on. This included all of the EP, some of the peripherals, and (should I admit this ;) ) about 5 questions that were really long and I just didn't feel like reading. I estimated that I would do no worse than 50% on these. I also estimated that I would get 90% on the rest of the exam. So I estimated I would pass with 82%. As I mentioned, I passed with 83%.

Good luck, and if you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask.

CCC Exam

I know I need the study guide I just cannot afford to buy it. I have three children( one with special needs) and my husband is currently looking for work. Money spent on the study guide is not feasible right now.

I will definitely work on the areas you suggested thanks