Wiki GI certification

I can't imagine why your manager would not be supporting you on this decision. If that was the case, why would AAPC have all the different specialty certifications? My advise, go for it.

CPC is on the coding as a whole.

The GI is going to go into great detail specifically on GI. Therefore you will encounter a lot more of the difference types of encounters as well as procedures. You may want to show your manager exactly what the GI certification test you on. If they are a visual person, showing will help your case.

The CGICâ„¢ examinee will be tested on:
•Ability to read and abstract physician office notes and operative notes to apply correct ICD-9-CM, CPT®, HCPCS Level II and modifier coding assignments
•Evaluation and management (both the 1995 and 1997 Documentation Guidelines)
•Rules and regulations of Medicare billing including (but not limited to) incident to, teaching situations, shared visits, consultations and global surgery
•Coding of surgical procedures performed by gastroenterologists such as colonoscopies, esophageal dilations, ERCP, etc.
•Medical terminology
•Anatomy and physiology

Good luck

Cheryl

I don't know why your manager feels that way, but if a specialty certification is want you want, then you should do it. The AAPC recommends you have 2 years of abstract GI coding before sitting for the exam.