Wiki GI Motility Coding Question: 43241, 44500, 74340, 91020

ccaldewey

Networker
Best answers
I'm fairly new to motiliy studies and I'm wondering if it's appropriate to bill for 43241 or 44500 (and 74340 for EITHER code when fluoro perfomed) when billing for 91020.

Here's an example of the reports I see:
The GIF Q180 2705311 was introduced through the mouth and advanced to the second part of the duodenum. [biopsy was performed: 43239] A 0.35 superstiff wallstent wire was advanced through the endoscope into the duodenum. The scope was removed. A Dent sleeve was advanced over the guidwire across teh pylorus. Placement was confirmed by fluoroscopy. Pressures were zeroed in the stomach. Pyloric manometry was performed...

I cannot find documentation as to whether separate catheter placement is required or appropriate for the manometry (Dent sleeve), nor whether it would be appropriate to bill 74340 under these circumstances.

I'd really appreciate any guidance and references you can provide!
Carrie

Hi Carrie,

I am wondering the same. I found in a book.. "The GI Motility Testing Book" that they suggest billing 43241 and 74340 for placement of the motility catheter. However, I could not find additional information to support this. Have you found any additional information on this?

Thanks,
Conrad