Giving up coding

Community Wiki

This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on AAPC for 30 days and have made 5 posts. Learn More
S
Don't give up. I graduated in 2019 and have been in the medical field since 2002 and still cannot get a jobs. I feel the same way as you. but, I don't plan on giving up just yet. everyone wants you take have experience but, how can you get experience when no one will give you an opportunity.
Best answers
I’ve had my CPC since 2017 and I’ve yet to actually work as a coder for the reason being that a lot of companies want experienced coders. I’ve kept up with my CEU’s and always kept my certification current however I’m having 2nd thoughts of renewing this year in April as I feel like I’m going to waste my time again.
Any similar experiences? What can I do? I really don’t want to give it up but the coding employment doesn’t look promising for me :(

Munzueta

Guru
Best answers
Don't!
The coding field has been growing and from my experience it won't stop. At first yes, it is difficult getting a job because most employers want experience. What I can suggest, if there is a AAPC Chapter in your area, attend! You need to start networking as much as you can, get to know people, I mean even ask your doctor if he knows of anyone looking for a certified coder.

Coding has done so much for me and my future, I was a fast food employee making 5.75 an hour, and now I get to choose my hours, I work on a hospital, and I am currently making 30 an hour and have met so much nice people throughout the way.

My point is, don't give up, you might just have to put a little more extra effort, but you will find something, once you get your experience, you can start considering remote coding (working from home) just be patient!

deyoung

Guru
Best answers
Sorry to hear you are having a difficult time, but I would also like to encourage you to not lose your certification. You worked hard to pass that test and, speaking from experience, you don't want to have to take it again! I have had my CPC for a number of years and worked in various aspects of Healthcare. It has opened a lot of doors for me and not all necessarily actual "coding," but where they required you had the coding knowledge. Years ago, I thought I didn't need my CPC anymore because I was a supervisor of registration dept so I let it expire....then an opportunity came across my lap where I needed it so I had to re-take the test...I never let it expire again, lol. I started in claims...maybe start in an area like that where you aren't necessarily coding, but have the knowledge. Maybe u can build a good reputation there and end up moving into a coding position. I have also heard of people doing volunteer or intern type work to gain experience. Just some ideas. Wishing you all the best!

Jennikate

Networker
Best answers
Don't let it expire. I work in a billing and coding position but i never want have do that test again. I am currently studying for crc and than at least for now i am done with initials. I used work with a sales rep for a lab that still keeps her cpc up to date just in case and she never wants have do the test again. She's been in sales side for over 10 years.

Best answers
Thank you all for your response, but upon thinking about it, i wont give up its just really discouraging being a new CPC and no one wants to take an opportunity because you need experience. ill just have to try harder. and i would gladly take volunteer work so it can give me some type of experience. im also currently taking practicode which has helped me a great deal.

trarut

Expert
Best answers
I would also encourage you to look at other types of roles where your coding skills can be of use. There are many more jobs available these days that provide those entry level opportunities. I have been doing this long enough that, when I started as a coder (in the Dark Ages ;)), you were hired because you knew someone. Experience didn't matter because you were trained on the job and it was a given that you would be working for a physician or hospital reading records and assigning codes. So many of the roles where coders work today just didn't exist 25 years ago.

Good luck!

Best answers
My experience in the medical field began almost 30 years ago. I started working as a receptionist in a doctor's office. So, it may be beneficial to find an entry level job, either in a provider's office or a hospital, and get your foot in the door. Once employers realize that you are a certified coder, I believe opportunities will open for you.

Jessim929

Guru
Best answers
I worked with a coder who started with the practice doing demographics and insurance verification. When a coding position in the practice opened up, then she revealed she was a certified coder. She took the verification job to get a foot in the door. Sometimes you have to do that. Apply for a medical billing or A/R job - that could be your foot in the door too.

Best answers
I’ve had my CPC since 2017 and I’ve yet to actually work as a coder for the reason being that a lot of companies want experienced coders. I’ve kept up with my CEU’s and always kept my certification current however I’m having 2nd thoughts of renewing this year in April as I feel like I’m going to waste my time again.
Any similar experiences? What can I do? I really don’t want to give it up but the coding employment doesn’t look promising for me :(
I feel the same I’ve had 2 certifications since 2016 and NO ONE WILL HIRE

smontague

Networker
Best answers
I wouldn't give up if I were you. It can be difficult, but if you truly want to be in healthcare and want to be a coder sometimes you have to work up from a different position. I was lucky enough to already be employed at a physician's office when I obtained my CPC, but I definitely didn't just start out as a coder. I actually started as a medical records clerk and worked my way up as positions became available within the practice. I actually took my CPC course and got my certification while I was working as administrative assistant.

Are you working in healthcare now? If not, you should explore some entry level work, like a patient services rep or something similar. This would at least get your foot in the door in the healthcare field, then people are more likely to consider you for coding positions because you have some experience in the field.

All that being said, the job market is tough no matter what. I left my job a while ago to try something different. I was only out of healthcare for about a year and a half and despite having 15 years of healthcare experience (9 of which were coding and billing) it took me quite a few months to get a job back in billing. It really is discouraging sometimes, but don't give up if it's really what you want to be doing. I kept pushing and felt like giving up when I was trying to get back in and now that I've made it back it was so worth it. Best of luck to you!

Best answers
No, don't give up. I started out getting a part-time position in an ENT practice as a receptionist and then doors opened up for me. It didn't happen overnight, as I worked in many departments before I landed a position in billing. The invaluable lessons I gained from working in areas of the medical field laid a excellent foundation for my role in coding and billing. Having that knowledge then lead me to a position as an practice manager. Hard work and determination made it happen for me and it can happen to you.

Haydee1

Contributor
Best answers
I'm in the same position and now contemplating to see if taking the CPB class would help me find an billing and Coding jobs (since I passed the CPC test). I am so discourage right now and thinking of going back to the medical field as a Medical Assistant with 20 years experience, I have and still am applying for coding positions but I have never been unemployed for such a short time. I have set coding at the back burner before, taken the CPC exam probably more than anyone (> 6 times) and I do not want to set it back again. I even went door to door at do doctors offices, passed out my resume- to try to learn from them for FREE, what I got was a bitchy " we outsource our coding" and a car accident on the same day.
Frustrations with trying to find a job in a company that wants a few year's experience, but how would I get that when there is no other company willing to accept minimal experience? Do I want to invest again (since the price is affordable)- only to be in the same spot, but still not have a job? It's not helping with this pandemic.

fwnewbie

Expert
Best answers
I'm right there with you! I can no longer work as a nurse after 30 years of surgical-based experience so I got a COC - outpatient coder for surgery centers, outpatient hospital - and I can't even get an offer of WATCHING coders at work in the last hospital I worked for before going on disability!! I went to some of the local meetings (before they went virtual), introduced myself to the officers, did everything I could to network in person. I had one interview for nurse auditor which is something I could do, but was not given the job. Even the nurse that interviewed me couldn't understand why I wasn't given a coding job since they had been short of help before the virus took over everything.
Since so much of coding is dependent on understanding medical terminology, it seems only logical coders with long-term exposure to the medical field would have a great advantage over a non-medical coder. If it's all about who you know, that is not a good use of facility dollars. But gee, I'm just a nurse. What do I know about financial responsibility?! :/

Amatyskiel

Contributor
Best answers
I can relate to this forum as well. I passed my certification in 2017 and have a BA in finance to this day I cannot find a job. I signed up to join Medical Billing course in Laguardia Community college in new york that is sponsored by the city and still didn't meet the qualification. I don't know what else to do, so desperate to find a job, especially with this never-ending pandemic :(

Sadia78

New
Best answers
Don,t be dis heart keep yourself updating and get the Medical billing certification its easy to get the billing job rather than coding.......i am sure you will be preferable due to duel certification and don,t think of earning point of view behave as a learning attitude you will shine differently and job will find you soon .

Its Bri

Contributor
Best answers
Keep your certification, it will pay off in the end. I tested back in 2004 and passed my CPC exam with flying colors, and was stuck in front office work for the 1st 3/4 years then landed a position as a biller however by then I had let my certification expire. I have worked as a biller and coder for the last 10 years and finally decided in 2018 to take a refresher course and test again, because I decided that I just wanted to do coding. But I failed my exam by a point! And to this day I am still not certified, because I don't want to spend $600 to take the exam again, and take the chance of failing. The exam seems a little harder now a days or maybe it's just me. I still keep my membership up though so that I stay in the loop. Know the value of your certification is all I have to say.

Pathos

True Blue
Best answers
Keep your certification, it will pay off in the end. I tested back in 2004 and passed my CPC exam with flying colors, and was stuck in front office work for the 1st 3/4 years then landed a position as a biller however by then I had let my certification expire. I have worked as a biller and coder for the last 10 years and finally decided in 2018 to take a refresher course and test again, because I decided that I just wanted to do coding. But I failed my exam by a point! And to this day I am still not certified, because I don't want to spend $600 to take the exam again, and take the chance of failing. The exam seems a little harder now a days or maybe it's just me. I still keep my membership up though so that I stay in the loop. Know the value of your certification is all I have to say.
If you do reconsider getting certified again, don't go for the full price. AAPC often offers reduced exam packages and I think right now it's around $399 (until the end of this month). This deal included the exam, online practice tests and an actual study guide (which I am a huge supporter of). If you don't have the time/money right now to do it, perhaps consider taking the test later as being certified is key in moving up in the medical coding world.

Its Bri

Contributor
Best answers
If you do reconsider getting certified again, don't go for the full price. AAPC often offers reduced exam packages and I think right now it's around $399 (until the end of this month). This deal included the exam, online practice tests and an actual study guide (which I am a huge supporter of). If you don't have the time/money right now to do it, perhaps consider taking the test later as being certified is key in moving up in the medical coding world.
Thank you, I will check AAPC and see what they have going on for exam packages.

reginalane

Contributor
Best answers
I'd like to add that once you're certified, continue to work as anything you can find at that time in the medical field for a company administratively (that has a coding dept.) until you see a coding door open. By that time, you'd be invested in that company and you can slide right in. My life story. I've recommended the same avenue and for the ones who invested like I did, eventually ended up with a coding job. I invested processing referrals for 5 yrs and was able to slide into coding, ended up teaching it and now I'm working in analysis. Stay investing!
;)

Best answers
I did volunteer work in a hospital and made it a point to tell anyone and everyone my goal was to become a coder. Once I passed the exam I did get a position at the same hospital. Network!!

Rweadon

New
Best answers
I have applied for over 125 jobs since February when I learned I passed my CPC. Nobody wants to hire me without medical office experience though I have 30 years of regular office and customer service experience. I can't even get a medical receptionist job because apparently medical receptionists know how to answer the phones better? This is terminal and I will maintain my certification but have to look elsewhere for a job. I have a family to provide for! I applied for a patient transporter for goodness sake and BET I won't qualify for that either because why? I don't know how to walk through a hospital corridor?!!! So irritated!

Stacyml

New
Best answers
I hope you don't give up and you find a job soon.

Quodee

New
Best answers
I feel the same way. Everyone wants you to have experience. Like you are born with it or something! Every job trains you so why do they need experience?

Pathos

True Blue
Best answers
I have applied for over 125 jobs since February when I learned I passed my CPC. Nobody wants to hire me without medical office experience though I have 30 years of regular office and customer service experience. I can't even get a medical receptionist job because apparently medical receptionists know how to answer the phones better? This is terminal and I will maintain my certification but have to look elsewhere for a job. I have a family to provide for! I applied for a patient transporter for goodness sake and BET I won't qualify for that either because why? I don't know how to walk through a hospital corridor?!!! So irritated!
The job hunt is frustrating for sure. Took me a whole year from the time I knew I was done working for a company, to the time I actually started my new job. Way prior to that, I just graduated from college, but nobody wanted me. I finally applied to an entry level as a Patient Registrar at my local hospital and finally got a job there. Not the dream job at all, but the first stepping stone at least.

How are your applications? Is your resume fine tuned? Have you practiced your interviews? Do you have someone who can give you constructive tips/help on how to ace each part of the process? Your situation is no fun for sure, however once you start getting experience, it gets easier. Keep applying, and do your best to nail that first job!

Best answers
I have passed my exam December 2018 and currently working in a hospital but; can't get a job without having three or more years experience. So frustrating and my certification ends Oct.2020 and have CEU's that I need to have and everything is so costly.