Wiki Giving Up Coding

Good for you that the networking worked for you! I'm still pursuing remote positions since the local hospital decided my 30 years of medical knowledge wouldn't be an asset for a new outpatient coder.
I'm working at my Practicode but I'm finding so many discrepancies in their answers (ie 2019 codes vs 2020 new codes) I'm beginning to think it's corrupting what I thought I knew about coding! LOL
One caveat to my reply. Nowadays, big employers don’t accept resume referrals directly from their employees. They tell the employee his/her referral to apply on the employers’ websites. Another bump in the road since applying for jobs on a company website is a black hole.

One caveat to my reply. Nowadays, big employers don’t accept resume referrals directly from their employees. They tell the employee his/her referral to apply on the employers’ websites. Another bump in the road since applying for jobs on a company website is a black hole.
To combat the black hole, call HR after you apply, and essentially make a pest out of yourself. I know some people hesitate to do that, but if they keep hearing from you, they’ll know how interested you are in working for them and may give you a shot they otherwise wouldn’t have. You literally have nothing to lose and a position to gain. You may just stand out enough to get noticed in a sea of names.

Employers hate interviewing as much as employees hate searching. They want the position filled, and as competitive as the workforce is today, anything you can do to rise above the heap is worth it

I’ve had my CPC since 2017 and I’ve yet to actually work as a coder for the reason being that a lot of companies want experienced coders. I’ve kept up with my CEU’s and always kept my certification current however I’m having 2nd thoughts of renewing this year in April as I feel like I’m going to waste my time again.
Any similar experiences? What can I do? I really don’t want to give it up but the coding employment doesn’t look promising for me :(
If your young go for CCS through AHIMA. I'm in the same situation exactly as you, since 2017. Go for AHIMA, way better. I'm having doubts about paying this year too, since I will never get a coding job, can't even get a medical clerk job because no experience. If younger I would go to AHIMA. We pay $185.00 every single year for credentials, AHIMA is $129.00 every 2 years.

Just sending some encouragement your way.....I've taken the CPC exam 5 times and finally passed on my last attempt. You've worked hard for those credentials whether you've passed on the first time, second, etc...Whatever you do, hold on to all that you've worked for. It's not easy finding a job, but can you imagine something comes along and you've lost your credentials! Keep going, it may take a little more time, but you've worked for that CPC. Don't give up! Have a great day.

I got my CPC-A in 2013. I have worked for a hospital in AZ for over 30 yrs and couldn't secure a position as a CPC-A. I did secure a position doing insurance verification and authorization. I was able to use my cpc experience in this position and am very happy with it. I am 2yrs away from retiring but I keep my certification up to date so I can sign off my auth request with my credential. It also helped me to recognize what documentation I needed to get my auths. So broaden your search into other avenues that you can use you experience in. The RN's in the office have come to me with their coding questions which makes me feel really good about my position.

Which brings up a question to anyone who may have an answer. If I have been coding for authorizations for the past 3 yrs can the office manager write a letter to AAPC to remove my A status with this experience? I have been working with the providers on their documentation to support the authorizations that I request. I succeeded in getting an auth for genetic testing from an AZ AHCCCS plan. Woo hoo dance dance!

::snipped::

Which brings up a question to anyone who may have an answer. If I have been coding for authorizations for the past 3 yrs can the office manager write a letter to AAPC to remove my A status with this experience? I have been working with the providers on their documentation to support the authorizations that I request. I succeeded in getting an auth for genetic testing from an AZ AHCCCS plan. Woo hoo dance dance!
If you've been coding as part of your current position, I say ask for the letter and submit it. Worst AAPC can do is decline to accept it and you're in the same position in re: your credential as you are now.

I'm right there with you! I can no longer work as a nurse after 30 years of surgical-based experience so I got a COC - outpatient coder for surgery centers, outpatient hospital - and I can't even get an offer of WATCHING coders at work in the last hospital I worked for before going on disability!! I went to some of the local meetings (before they went virtual), introduced myself to the officers, did everything I could to network in person. I had one interview for nurse auditor which is something I could do, but was not given the job. Even the nurse that interviewed me couldn't understand why I wasn't given a coding job since they had been short of help before the virus took over everything.
Since so much of coding is dependent on understanding medical terminology, it seems only logical coders with long-term exposure to the medical field would have a great advantage over a non-medical coder. If it's all about who you know, that is not a good use of facility dollars. But gee, I'm just a nurse. What do I know about financial responsibility?! :/

I understand what you are going through. I am also considering giving up on a coding career. I got my CPC-A in 2016, attended chapter meetings, etc. I work in the pathology department for a local hospital. I know people in medical records and when coding positions opened up I was told that I didn't have experience even though I've worked as a medical transcriptionist for 25 years and took all the coding courses, etc. They said my best bet was to apply to an outsource company which wasn't an option at the time or right now. I worked for Nuance (outsource company) for 2 years 40 hours a week making less money with no benefits than I do now working part-time for the pathology department. Also I've tried contacting one of my coding instructors who works at a local hospital as a coding supervisor about coding jobs her hospital posted and she never replied to my inquiries on linked-in. She used to say I would have no problem getting a job in coding because of my medical experience as a transcriptionist, Haha. My other problem is it's hard to find the money each year to pay for this CPC-A certificate. I feel the time, energy and money I put into all of this has been a huge waste. One last thing, I was also told by an AAPC employee that my best bet was to do Practicode which also costs a lot of money that I just don't have. My husband is getting sick of me paying AAPC $100 something a year ($180?? now) for nothing. I feel bad because I worked pretty hard for it and expected a career change out of transcription since that is now a dead field. So I have a week or so to make up my mind. Good luck to you all who are going through the same thing.

You don't mention your age but believe me, if you are over 50, it is like you are a dead fish. No matter how many certifications you have. If you have no experience they won't touch you. I am 61 and of course everyone thinks you will be retiring at 65 so why should they bother with training you and then you will be sailing off into the golden sunset...ha ha ha... and of course with the pandemic a lot of the regular people lost their jobs or everyone went to coding from home so nobody in the office to train new recruits anyway. So, with all that I am giving up on coding and saving all that money this job sucks out of us every year (around $300 a year on coding books, all that money for CEUs, cost of any new certification testing and of course maintaining our membership in these societies which in the end do nothing for us anyway). I imagine I've plunged close to $10K into this path since I started thinking of starting a new career 7 years ago but no more thank you. I will be retiring when I turn 70 (god help us we still have social security by then) so I'd be pumping thousands more dollars down the money pit in the next 9 years. Nope.

My experience in the medical field began almost 30 years ago. I started working as a receptionist in a doctor's office. So, it may be beneficial to find an entry level job, either in a provider's office or a hospital, and get your foot in the door. Once employers realize that you are a certified coder, I believe opportunities will open for you.
I too have 30 years experience in the medical field, starting at the front office. I took advantage of every opportunity opened up to me. I am now a Practice Manager for large Primary Care Office I don't have a B.A or Master, but "school of hard knocks". If I didn't have the medical billing experience, I would have never been considered for the position. It takes patience. Get that entry level job, and once they see your work ethic the door will opens open up.