Wiki Global Maternity less than 5 visits

ashgarrett

New
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
Hi we have some patients who come to our practice to establish OB care for pregnancies. Sometimes, we have patients who we only see for a short period of time before they deliver. My question is, if we have a patient who we have seen since the beginning of her pregnancy but only has 4 visits with our office, are we allowed to bill for the global package? I have read some guidelines that state to have at least 13 visits or 14 visits, other state as long as the patient established care with the same provider, we may bill the global package. I was just curious on everyone opinions are on this matter and how you handle it in your office/facility. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

At my organization, we do not bill the global unless the patient has a min of 7 visits. That being said, CPT does not specify a minimum for using the global code.

At my organization, we do not bill the global unless the patient has a min of 7 visits. That being said, CPT does not specify a minimum for using the global code.

I agree with this! I've recently been training someone and I told her if its less than 6 we split bill for the care. But my new supervisor is asking me for guidelines on this to back up what we do. However, I cannot for the life of me find anything specific.