Wiki Global Ob

Loren1007

New
Best answers
I have a patient who had a BCBS plan and switched mid pregnancy to a different insurance plan, would i bill her prenatal visits for when she had BCBS and then bill the intial visit the bill for a global ob with the new insurance? Is there a certain amount of visits you have a to have to bill for a global ob?

I have a patient who had a BCBS plan and switched mid pregnancy to a different insurance plan, would i bill her prenatal visits for when she had BCBS and then bill the intial visit the bill for a global ob with the new insurance? Is there a certain amount of visits you have a to have to bill for a global ob?

Since the patient changed insurance, the global fee no longer applies. You will bill either 59425 (4-6 visits) or 59426 (7+ visits) for the antepartum care received under each plan to both the old and new insurances and then the delivery w/postpartum care code to the new insurance. (If she only had 1 to 3 visits during the course of either insurance, then you would bill E/M visit codes for each visit.)

The global fee is used when a patient sees one provider and has only one insurance plan for the entire course of her pregnancy. Once either of those changes, then a split bill is in order.