Wiki Going from coder to supervisor

mkm1517

Guru
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
Hi,
I am wanting to further my coding career by taking management courses. :) Does anyone know where I can take coding management specific courses? There's a nice looking course on AHIMA, but my boss won't pay for an online course (even though budget-wise it makes the most sense). :( They will pay for conferences, seminars, brick and mortar schools. My local community college only offers basic coding courses, and I am way beyond that. I'd like to learn statistics, reports and leadership type of work.
Any ideas on where to look are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Coder to supervisor

I would recommend checking out the RHIT ( Registered Health information technician) programs on the AHIMA website.
The associates degree qualifies you to sit for the RHIT exam, a BS degree will qualify you for the RHIA ( Reg health info administrator) exam.

Good luck!

Is there a Medical Management organization in your state or city. They offer monthly luncheons where you can learn new things about medical management. They offer certification as well. Good Luck!

I'd go ahead and take business management courses at your local college or university, particularly if your facility requires managers to have a BS or BA.

I've never seen any coding-specific management courses, but any healthcare or business management courses would be appropriate. I found these courses to be most helpful: Organizational Management, Small Group Communication, Technical Writing, Project Management, and several courses in the education department on teaching adults.

good luck!