Wiki groin exploration

Best answers
pt is in global.
LT groin exploration with sharp excisional debridement of non-viable skin and subcutaneous tissue.

would the debridement be included in the exploration cpt code 35860?

Thanks

pt is in global.
LT groin exploration with sharp excisional debridement of non-viable skin and subcutaneous tissue.

would the debridement be included in the exploration cpt code 35860?

Thanks
Just wondering because I know the issues I have with my providers on wording. Did the doctor actually make a surgical repair plus debridement or is the groin exploration of the wound with debridement?

Trevor, how are you man? What Margaret said is correct. CPT 35860 is one of those codes that have many gray areas. If this was just a debirdement for a post op wounds, use your 11042 codes if only the skin and subcutaneous tissues were done. Throw your 78's on there.
As for 35860, I run into these situations at times of when to use this code. I grabbed an example from Dr. Z for you for a case Dr. Dunn advised to use this code. Hit me up any time, I have tough case questions for vascular surgery at times myself.

1614496433384.png

If they went deep enough an repaired a hematoma of the artery or suture repaired a former ateriotomy, Puncture site for percutaneous access with suture or what have you and they did debridement as part of that, then yes debridement is bundled into 35860 and not seperately reported, unless done on a seperate extremity or surgical site. In your case though, if all that was done was debridement of the skin without going down to the artery and and "exploring it for the complication then you would report your debridement codes. There are also times you need to watch out and report 10140 when a hematoma is drained as a post op complication, pay attention to the depth in which they go and the work that was performed before reporting 35860. If you think this may be the case in your situation shoot me over a redacted version of the case minus PHI, of course- and I'll be happy to advised further if need be.

Erik Brown, CIRCC, CPC.
Vascular Surgery Coder 3.
R1 RCM, AMITA Medical Group.
ebrown14@r1rcm.com.
801-500-0486.