• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • Important Note: We will be performing important server maintenance on 15 July 2020 , during which time this site will be unavailable for approximately 2 hours. If you are in the middle of something critical , please save your work. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Group Therapy Multiple Family

Best answers
Hello,

We are researching billing a possible new parent group using code 90849 - Multiple-Family Group Therapy while the child participates in 90853-Group Psychotherapy. Can the 90849 be billed under the child or does it need to be under the parent with a different diagnosis? Anyone have any experience or insight? Thank you!

Last edited:

SharonCollachi

True Blue
Best answers
Everyone who attends 90853 or 90849 must have their own documentation of the encounter. To me, that says each participant is a patient.

Contrast that to family therapy (90846 and 90847), where there is only one patient and one documentation.

Check with insurances to see if they cover group therapy.

SharonCollachi

True Blue
Best answers
You can BILL anything. Whether the insurance will allow it and pay is another story. My answer is, I doubt it. This would be like billing two sessions of 90853 for one person.

90849 is group therapy with multiple family members attending. So the patient is already having group therapy with that, you most likely wouldn't get paid for a separate 90853 for just the patient.