Wiki GYN Well Women Exam

blazer01

Best answers
I'm new in the coding world and need some guidance on non-Medicare well women exams. If a pap smear was NOT done during the wwe only the the breast and pelvic do you still use the 99394-99397 (est patient) with appropriate z01.411/z01.419? Then if the pap smear was done would you add the Z12.72? I know you have the Q0091 for a pap, but not all commercial plans pay on that code.

Thanks in advance.

Hi, For non Medicare payers, well women exams should be coded as 99394-99397 (est) regardless is a PAP was performed. If a pap was performed for a non-Medicare payer you can use code 87210-QW and link to Z12.4 or any complaint requiring a pap.

Hi, For non Medicare payers, well women exams should be coded as 99394-99397 (est) regardless is a PAP was performed. If a pap was performed for a non-Medicare payer you can use code 87210-QW and link to Z12.4 or any complaint requiring a pap.
I agree with preventive medicine service codes for well woman even if a PAP is not performed. I'm pretty sure ACOG gave advice on this at some point, but don't have my reference handy.
I would just note 87210 Smear, primary source with interpretation; wet mount for infectious agents (eg, saline, India ink, KOH preps) is something typically performed by a lab. I have never seen an office perform this service. It is not for PAP collection.
Q0091 is for collection of a PAP smear. It is covered by Medicare (with certain limitations). Private carriers may or may not pay for this separately and many bundle with the visit.

Thank you very much for your responses, I really appreciate it. I will look and see if I can find the ACOG information you were talking about for future reference. Thanks again.