Wiki H codes

MelissaUsi

Best answers
Hello,

The title of the HCPCS “H” code series is “Alcohol and Drug Abuse Treatment Services.” My understanding is that if the "H” code description does not contain anything about drug/alcohol tx, then the code can be used for mental health services not related to drugs or alcohol.

What is your interpretation? Is there any specific reference that would answer this?

Thank you for your help,

Melissa Usitalo, CPC
usitalo724@yahoo.com

I am not sure that I can give you a yes or not answer.

Can you give an idea of what service you want to use it for and I can give you my opinion from there, although I am not an H code expert by any means either.

H Codes

Hello,
Thank you for responding. An example would be H0004 - the description is "Behavioral Health Counseling and therapy, per 15 minutes". Could this code be used for a mental health service that is not related to drugs and/or alcohol even though it is an H code, which by HCPCS, is designated alcohol and drug abuse treatment services?

Thank you.

I would stick to regular therapy codes. These are in the drug alcohol section, which leads me to think that the intent of these codes would be for these services. I am willing to bet that a 90805, etc reimburses better anyways, but I am only guessing on that.