Wiki H&P???

Best answers
is it acceptable to use the H&P to bill for your E/M? ie... pt comes to ER is found to have appendicitis, resident does and H&P, can I use the H&P to bill a 99222 -57?

We are called to the ER (we are a surgical practice) we make the decision to operate. There is many differences of opinions in this office and people are starting to confuse me:eek: so wanted get the facts from those who do this everyday...

Too many variables

There are too many unanswered variables in your question to give you a definitive answer.

You mention resident documentation ... is this a surgical resident or an ER resident or a medicine resident?

For whom are you billing? The surgeon? the ED doctor?

Who is the payer ... Government payers (Medicare, Medicaid) require that the teaching physician document and attest to his/her own personal attendance to the patient (i.e. face-to-face), participation in exam, assessment and medical decision making, and agreement with any resident-documented service (OR - for the TP to document his/her own service). Commercial payers define "supervision" as by any means of communication and do not necessarily require the personal attendance of the teaching physician.

Hope that helps you define the issues.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC