Wiki "H" series HCPCS codes

Are H codes exclusively for AODA related services? Can they be used for mental health services for patients who are not in alcohol or drug treatment programs? I am working with a client who has been using H2012 (behavioral health day treatment; per hour) for day services provided to developmentally disabled patients. I feel they should be using the S5100-S5105 codes for adult day care services, but I'm having trouble finding any information on DD services. Can anyone help?

Revenue Codes with HCPCS

I work for a Substance Abuse Residential Treatment facility and we are finding that some of the payors are requesting HCPCS with the revenue codes. Does anyone know if we can just always use the HCPCS with the revenue codes or will some payors deny because they do not require the HCPCS?

Thanks,
pc4me1

Are H codes exclusively for AODA related services? Can they be used for mental health services for patients who are not in alcohol or drug treatment programs? I am working with a client who has been using H2012 (behavioral health day treatment; per hour) for day services provided to developmentally disabled patients. I feel they should be using the S5100-S5105 codes for adult day care services, but I'm having trouble finding any information on DD services. Can anyone help?

Hi LRK,

Yes, not all H codes are for alcohol/drug-related programs. What type of services are you providing? Would PSR (H2017) be more appropriate?

Lena